Recent entries:
Ryanair logo 1985 Yomiuri Shimbun logo Princess Cruises logo 1965 Meccano logo 1908 JR Central logo 1987 The Doors logo 1967 Cendrillon (Cinderella) 1899 Moto Guzzi logo 1921
Winston design 1954 Wikipedia logo 2001 IKEA logo 1950 Maybelline logo 1917 Heineken label 1954 Swatch logo 1982 Astérix logo 1959 Rolls-Royce logo 1904


Ryanair logo 1985
Ryanair logo 1985
--- "Danren Enterprises" (Nov. 28, 1984)
--- "Ryanair" (since 1985)

Category: Transportation

Subcategory: Airlines

Founded: Nov. 28, 1984 - Dublin, Ireland

--- Christopher Ryan
--- Tony Ryan
--- Liam Lonergan

Operations start: July 8, 1985

Features: Ryanair began operations on July 8, 1985 with daily flights on a 15-seater EMB 110 Embraer Bandeirante turboprop aircraft, from Waterford to London Gatwick. First cabin crew recruits must be less than 5ft. 2ins. tall in order to be able to operate in the tiny cabin of the aircraft. The 90-minute flight, Waterford's first international scheduled air service, departed at 8.30am, with the return flight departing from Gatwick at 7pm. On May 23, 1986 Rayanair launched a second route Dublin - London Luton, operated by two 46-seater BAE748 turboprop aircraft.

Interesting facts: In 1975, Irish businessman Tony Ryan founded Guinness Peat Aviation (GPA), a commercial aircraft sales and leasing company based in Shannon, Ireland. During the 1980s the company became the world's largest commercial aircraft lessor, but in early '90s economic depression undermined this commercial success, the company over-reached itself, and in 1992 it ran into debt problems. Ryan lost control of the company; however, in 1985 he had already launched a little airline, Ryanair (named after him), with co-founders Christopher "Christy" Ryan, godfather to Tony's second son Declan and worker at GPA on the sales team, and Liam Lonergan, owner of Irish travel agent Club Travel. With a share capital of just £1, and a staff of 25, they began to charter a 15-seater aircraft to bring small groups on business and leisure trips between Waterford and London Gatwick. In 1986, Ryanair obtained permission from the regulatory authorities to challenge the British Airways and Aer Lingus' high fare duopoly on the Dublin-London route; services were launched with two 46-seater aircraft. The launch fare of £99 return was less than half the price of the British Airways and Aer Lingus lowest return fare of £209. With two routes in operation, Ryanair carries 82,000 passengers in its first full year in operation. Thirty years later, in 2016, Ryanair was the largest European airline by scheduled passengers flown, and carried more international passengers than any other airline.

Property: Ryanair

Official website:

Ryanair announcement 1985
Ryanair getting ready to begin operations (announcement: Flight International magazine, June 22, 1985)

Ryanair, first aircraft 1985
Ryanair's Bandeirante 1985
Ryanair, first aircraft operated by the company (July 8, 1985). Ryanair's first route Waterford - London Gatwick was operated by a 15-seater EMB 110 Embraer Bandeirante turboprop aircraft.

Ryanair inaugural flight video 1985
Ryanair inaugural flight - video (July 8, 1985). Click the image to see the clip (1 min.) archived by RTÉ.ie, Raidió Teilifís Éireann, Ireland's National Public Service Broadcaster.

Ryanair's timetable 1986 - front
Ryanair's timetable 1986 - back
Ryanair, early timetable (January-March 1986)

Ryanair announcement 1986
Ryanair getting ready to launch the second route (announcement: Flight International magazine, May 10, 1986)

Ryanair, secound route departure 1986
Ryanair's BAE748, 1986
Ryanair, second aircraft operated by the company (May 23, 1986). Ryanair's second route Dublin - London Luton was operated by two 46-seater BAE748 turboprop aircraft, known as "The Spirit of Ireland".

Ryanair founders: Christopher Ryan, Tony Ryan, Liam Lonergan.
Ryanair founders: Christopher "Christy" Ryan (left), Thomas Anthony "Tony" Ryan (center), and Liam Lonergan (right).

Ryanair 30th Anniversary 1985-2015
Ryanair 30th Anniversary (1985-2015). Ryanair celebrate 30 years looking back at travel with Ryanair in 1985 compared to 2015.

Yomiuri Shimbun

Yomiuri Shimbun logo
Yomiuri Shimbun logo
Name: "Yomiuri Shimbun"

Category: Newspapers

--- Takashi Koyasu
--- Morimichi Motono
--- Shôkichi Shibata

First issue: November 2, 1874 - Toranomon, Minato, Tokyo, Japan

First editor: Takashi Koyasu

Takashi Koyasu
Takashi Koyasu (1836-1898), Industrialist, founder of Nisshusha company in 1870 (changed to The Yomiuri Shimbun since December 1, 1917) and founder of the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper in 1874 with co-founders Morimichi Motono and Shôkichi Shibata.
Overview: In 1870 Japanese Industrialist Takashi Koyasu established the letterpress printing company "Nisshusha" in Yokohama, with the former First Secretary of Foreign Affairs Morimichi Motono and the interpreter Shokichi Shibata, and published an English-Japanese dictionary.
In 1874 they launched the "Yomiuri Shimbun" in Toranomon, Minato, Tokyo: the name literally means "sell by reading newspaper", and refers to the newspaper sellers of Edo period (1603-1868). Yomiuri Shimbun was one of five new dailies created early in the Meiji period (1868–1912) to meet the need for a vernacular newspaper in the rapidly modernizing society of Japan. It became popular among the general public for its easy-to-read style, and in the following year its circulation had grown from 200 every other day to more than 10,000; by 1877 it had exceeded 33,400. In the beginning, the Yomiuri Shimbun published literature, novel translations, and some famous writers such as Kôyô Ozaki. In 1914 the Yomiuri Shimbun creates "Yomiuri Fujin Furoku", a page dedicated to articles for women, the first in Japanese newspapers. On September 1, 1923, the new Yomiuri Shimbun's head office building, located at Ginza 3-chome, was destroyed in Great Kanto Earthquake; in 1945, just before the end of World War II, an air raid burnt down headquarters building a second time; but Yomiuri Shimbun flourished again by building a strong national sales network.

Property: The Yomiuri Shimbun - Yomiuri Group

Official website:

Yomiuri Shimbun first issue 1874 - front
Yomiuri Shimbun first issue 1874 - back
Yomiuri Shimbun first issue front back (November 2, 1874)

Yomiuri Shimbun, first photo 1888
Yomiuri Shimbun was the first Japanese newspaper to carry a news photo (August 7, 1888). The image, printed using asphalt copperplate, shows the lake Inawashito immediately after the eruption of Mt. Bandai, Fukushima Prefecture.

Yomiuri Shimbun, Konjiki Yasha 1897
Yomiuri Shimbun begins serialization of Ozaki Kôyô's novel "Konjiki Yasha" - The Golden Demon (January 1, 1897)

Yomiuri Shimbun issue 10,000 - April 8, 1905
Yomiuri Shimbun issue No. 10,000 (April 8, 1905)

Yomiuri Fujin Furoku, 1914
Yomiuri Shimbun was the first Japanese newspaper to introduce pages devoted to women's interests (April 3, 1914). Originally called "Yomiuri Fujin Furoku", these pages evolved into a Lifestyle section.

Yomiuri Shimbun Building and issue No. 50,000
Left: Yomiuri Shimbun celebrate their 140th anniversary (1874-2014) starting operations from the Yomiuri Shimbun Building, their new headquarters in Tokyo's central Otemachi district. Right: Yomiuri Shimbun issue No. 50,000 (April 9, 2015).
In 2010, in the Britain's Guinness Book of World Records, the Yomiuri Shimbun was credited with having the highest circulation in the world, and with being the only newspaper to have a morning circulation in excess of 10 million copies: the morning edition had a circulation of 10,020,584, while the evening edition had a circulation of 3,516,692, producing a combined figure of 13,537,276; with an average of 2.5 readers per copy, this results in a total readership of 25,051,460 per day.

FV News: The first passenger drone

February 6, 2018 - GUANGZHOU, China

The first passenger drone made its debut on Tuesday, February 6, 2018 in the southern city of Guangzhou, China. EHANG, a global leader in unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) technologies, has unveiled footage of the latest test flights of their self-flying passenger aircraft or Autonomous Aerial Vehicle (AAV). The EHANG 184 series is the world's first passenger drone capable of carrying a single person at up to 130 km/h and in force 7 typhoon conditions. These manned test flights are just the latest in a series of tests to ensure that the EHANG 184 AAV will be safe and ready for public use in the near future.

World's first passenger drone

Among the 40 or so passengers who helped in this crucial testing phase were WANG Dong, deputy mayor of Guangzhou, EHANG founder and CEO, Huazhi Hu (photo above), and cofounder & CMO, Derrick Xiong (below). «Performing manned test flights enables us to demonstrate the safety and stability of our vehicles», Huazhi Hu said. «What we're doing isn't an extreme sport, so the safety of each passenger always comes first. Now that we've successfully tested the EHANG 184, I'm really excited to see what the future holds for us in terms of air mobility».


Princess Cruises

Princess Cruises logo 1965
Princess Cruises
logo 1965
Name: "Princess Cruises"

Category: Transportation

Subcategory: Shipping

Founded: Nov. 14, 1965 - Seattle, Washington, USA

Founder / First president: Stanley B. McDonald

Operations start: December 3, 1965

Features: Founded in 1965, Princess Cruises began operations on December 3, 1965, carrying 400 passengers aboard the "Princess Patricia" Turbo-Electric Vessel from Los Angeles to Mexico, calling at La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco and Mazatlan. In 1967 they chartered a more specific cruise ship, "Princess Italia", and in 1968 the third "Princess Carla" ship, thus continuing the series of Mexican Riviera cruises. In June 1969 Princess Cruises inaugurated the first series of summer cruises to Alaska.

Interesting facts: In 1962 entrepreneur Stanley B. McDonald bought a ship, the cruise vessel "Yarmouth", to operate as a hotel at the World's Fair in Seattle, where his company Air Mac provided all the ground transportation equipment; the ship sailed from San Francisco to Victoria B.C., then down to the fair for a 10-day cruise. For four days of the cruise the ship was used as a hotel while people onboard visited the fair. This experience inspired McDonald to try a new businness, so in 1965 he decided to found Princess Cruises.
The popular American television series "The Love Boat", aired on the ABC Television Network from 1977 to 1986, was set aboard many of Princess' ships in destinations around the globe; the two ships featured heavily were "Pacific Princess" and "Island Princess". To celebrate their 50th Anniversary, on December 3, 2015 Princess Cruises reunited The Love Boat cast aboard Pacific Princess in the Port of Los Angeles.

Quote (Stanley B. McDonald): «The call of the "Mexican Riviera" was coined by our people as I remember. Now everyone refers to it as the Mexican Riviera».

Property: Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd.

Official website:

Canadian Pacific Princess Cruises brochure 1965 - cover
Canadian Pacific Princess Cruises brochure 1965
Princess Cruises before Princess Cruises (summer 1965). This brochure offered 7-days summer cruises in Alaska - from May to August, from Vancouver to Skagway and return - aboard Canadian Pacific's "Princess Patricia", the first ship chartered by Stanley McDonald in the fall of the same year to start his businness. The Princess Patricia was a very popular, reliable ship: despite its tiny size, it had eight sumptuous wood-paneled suites with large living rooms, a large selection of outside upper/lower berth cabins, and outdoor activities included shuffleboard played atop decks.

Princess Cruises - Princess Patricia 1965
Princess Patricia, the first ship operated by Princess Cruises, docked in Vancouver during the first Princess Cruises management. On December 3, 1965, Princess Patricia's first cruise took 400 passengers from Los Angeles to Mexico, calling at La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco and Mazatlan, thus inaugurating the first series of 14-day cruises to Mexico, until april 1966. This Turbo-Electric Vessel, 6,082-ton, 356-by-56 foot, built in Scotland 1949 and converted to cruise liner in Canada 1963, returned under the Princess banner for a second Mexican Riviera cruise in winter 1966/67, before being left to the exclusive management of its owner Canadian Pacific. Demolished in Taiwan 1995.

Princess Cruises brochures 1965/1966
Princess Cruises brochures (1965/66)

Princess Cruises - Princess Italia 1967
Princess Italia, the second ship operated by Princess Cruises, in Acapulco (1967, under charter to Princess but still with Oltremare's triangle funnel logo). Princess Italia made her maiden departure from Los Angeles on December 15, 1967. This cruise ship, 12,083-ton, 489-by-68 feet, 452 passenger plus 240 crew, was built in Italy 1967 as "Italia" for Crociere d’Oltremare, then chartered by Costa Lines and subchartered to Princess Cruises, who marketed her as "Princess Italia", but never officially renamed her. On June 3, 1969 Princess Italia was also used for the first Alaskan cruise from San Francisco. Demolished in Gujarat, India 2012.

Princess Cruises logo 1968
Princess Cruises introduce their iconic "Seawitch" logo (1968)

Princess Cruises - Princess Carla 1968
Princess Cruises - Princess Carla 1968 docked
Princess Carla, the third ship operated by Princess Cruises (1968). Princess Carla made her maiden departure from Los Angeles on December 19, 1968; it was the first vessel to carry the iconic "Seawitch" funnel logo. This cruise ship, 20,469-ton, 600-by-80 feet, 452 passenger, was built in France 1951 as "Flandre" for French Line, then sold in 1967 to the Italian firm Costa Cruises, who renamed her "Carla C". In 1968 the ship was chartered to Princess Cruises, who marketed her as "Princess Carla", but never officially renamed her. Demolished in Turkey 1994.

Princess Cruises advertisement 1968
Princess Cruises advertisement (1968, Princess Italia and Princess Carla cruises)

Princess Cruises brochures 1970/1971/1972
Princess Cruises brochures (1970/71/72)

Princess Cruises - Stanley B. McDonald
Stanley B. McDonald (Alberta, October 13, 1920 – Seattle, November 20, 2014), entrepreneur, founder of Princess Cruises

Princess Cruises 50th Anniversary - Pacific Princess 2015
Princess Cruises 50th Anniversary (1965-2015). On December 3, 2015, Princess Cruises celebrated their 50 years recreating the exact route of the cruise line's original Princess Patricia's maiden voyage (December 3, 1965) - from Los Angeles to Mexico - on board the 30,277-ton Pacific Princess (above).

FV News: The first cloned monkeys

January 24, 2018 - SHANGAI, China

The first primate clones made by Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT) are two genetically-identical long-tailed macaques born recently at the Institute of Neuroscience of Chinese Academy of Sciences in Shanghai. Researchers named the newborns "Zhong Zhong" and "Hua Hua" after the Chinese adjective "Zhōnghuá", which means Chinese nation or people. The research has been published on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 in the journal Cell.

The first cloned monkeys

«Generation of genetically uniform non-human primates may help to establish animal models for primate biology and biomedical research. In this study, we have successfully cloned cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis) by somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT). (...) For SCNT using fetal monkey fibroblasts, 6 pregnancies were confirmed in 21 surrogates and yielded 2 healthy babies. For SCNT using adult monkey cumulus cells, 22 pregnancies were confirmed in 42 surrogates and yielded 2 babies that were short-lived. (...) Cloning of animals by somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) has been achieved in 23 mammalian species including sheep, mouse, cattle, pig, cat, rat, and dog. As species closer to humans, non-human primates are ideal animal models for studying physiological functions unique to primates and for developing therapeutic treatments of human diseases».

Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua


Meccano logo 1908
Meccano logo 1908
--- "Mechanics Made Easy" (1901)
--- "Simplified Mechanics" (1907)
--- "Meccano" (since Sept. 14, 1907)

Category: Toys

Subcategory: Construction set

Inventor: Frank Hornby

Invented in: 1898 - Liverpool, England, UK

Patent: January 9, 1901 (accepted November 30), UK

First producer: Meccano Ltd. (founded in Liverpool, May 30, 1908, by Frank Hornby)

Production start:
--- 1902 as "Mechanics Made Easy", UK
--- Since 1908 as "Meccano", worldwide

First price:
--- The first outfit marked "Mechanics Made Easy" (1902) cost 7 shillings 6 pence.
--- The first outfit trademarked "Meccano" (1908) cost 4 pence.

Features: In early newspaper advertisements, Meccano - born in 1901 under the name "Mechanics Made Easy" - was described as «a patent adaptable mechanical toy, with which boys may exercise they ingenuity in constructing cranes, bridges, wagons, shafting, etc. - in fact, an endless variety of models. The metal strips being perforated with holes, equidistant, enables them to be formed into the shapes (among others) enumerated». The first sets had a very limited range of parts, manufactured by various local firms, and the strips were made from thin tinplate steel with edges folded over to give strength. The boxes were long, thin, and attractively tin-printed. By 1904 the outfits included girders and gear wheels, three different sets were product, accessory outfits and manuals were introduced. In 1907, after a temporarily rebrand as "Simplified Mechanics", the very first "Meccano" trademark appeared on a new large box called "Meccano Kindergarten Outfit" (though, the design of the parts remained the same). Since then, "Meccano" became the official name, with "Mechanics Made Easy" in brackets as subtitle for 3/4 years and then cut off. In 1908 the boxes were large, the outfits were numbered from 1 to 6, and the parts were nickel plated. Through the years new designs, parts, and outfits were developed using different materials and technologies, for an always-modern toy.

Interesting facts: In 1898 Frank Hornby, a bookkeeper from Liverpool, began to design a system of interchangeable metal strips, plates, wheels, axles and gears, with nuts and bolts to connect the pieces, for the amusement of his two children. Supported by his employer David Elliott, Hornby got his new system patented in 1901, and started selling it as "Mechanics Made Easy" outfits, with parts produced by external businesses in Liverpool. From 1902 to 1907, advertisements began to appear in newspapers and magazines, model-building competitions were also advertised, new parts and sets were introduced, and with the support by chair of Engineering Henry Selby Hele-Shaw sales started to take off. In 1907 Hornby decided to rebrand his sets: the iconic "Meccano" trademark was registered, and sets carrying the new name made their first appearance. In the same year the first factory opened on Duke Street in Liverpool, and Meccano began to be exported to many countries, but it was not until 1908 that the new "Meccano Ltd." company came into being, when Hornby bought out his employer's stake in the business (until then the sets carried the monogram "E&H" or "Elliot and Hornby"). At the same time, the outfits evolved with the introduction of the nickel plating. In 1914 a large factory was built in Binns Road to churn out the new Meccano sets in increasing quantities, and in 1916 "Meccano Magazine" - edited by Frank Hornby and published by his Meccano Ltd. company - was launched to keep Guild clubs informed of each other's activities, as well as encourage the sales. For over 100 years, Meccano has inspired countless engineers, designers, architects and creative minds of all ages.

Slogan (1902): «Mechanics Made Easy. A Patent Adaptable Mechanical Toy»

Property: Meccano Ltd. - Spin Master Ltd.

Producer website:

Meccano Patent 1901
Mechanics Made Easy, precursor to Meccano, patent (January 9, 1901, accepted Nov. 30) by Frank Hornby for "Improvements in Toy or Educational Devices for Children and Young People".

Meccano crane 1904
Mechanics Made Easy, crane (1904). This model, similar to the example in Hornby's patent, is made with Mechanics Made Easy first outfit.

Mechanics Made Easy first outfit 1904 box
Mechanics Made Easy first outfit 1904 box - front
Mechanics Made Easy first outfit 1904 box - contents
Mechanics Made Easy, first outfit (1904)

Mechanics Made Easy manuals 1904 - 1906
Mechanics Made Easy manuals (left: c. 1904, right: c. 1906)

Mechanics Made Easy advertisement 1902
Mechanics Made Easy, advertisement ("The Boy's Own Paper" weekly magazine, London, September 13, 1902). «MECHANICS MADE EASY. A Patent Adaptable Mechanical Toy, with which boys may exercise they ingenuity in constructing Cranes, Bridges, Wagons, Shafting, &c. - in fact, an endless variety of models. The metal strips being perforated with holes, equidistant, enables them to be formed into the shapes (among others) enumerated. No expense for tools. Charming occupation and toy indestructible. Price 7s. 6d., from G. Philip & Son, Ltd., 32 Fleet Street, London; Philip, Son & Nephew, South Castle Street, Liverpool; Leading Stationers, and Toy Dealers. Manufacturers: Elliot & Hornby, 18 James St., Liverpool.»

Simplified Mechanics box 1907
"Simplified Mechanics": temporarily rebranded box before "Meccano" trademark (1907)

Meccano Kindergarten Outfit 1907
Meccano Kindergarten Outfit, the very first outfit trademarked "Meccano" (late 1907). Produced for Christmas 1907 and sold until 1910, this outfit encouraged children to draw out simple models with a plastic ruler on squared paper in a drawing book before construction.

Meccano 1908 box
Meccano 1908 box - opened
Meccano 1908 box - content
Meccano first outfit (1908). Nickel plated parts are introduced, and the "Mechanics Made Easy" subtitle on the box will soon be cut off.

Meccano advertisement 1909
Meccano advertisement ("Evening star" newspaper, Washington, D.C., Dec. 17, 1909)

Meccano advertisement 1912
Meccano advertisement ("The daily Gate City" newspaper, Keokuk, Iowa, Dec. 1, 1912)

Meccano advertisements 1914
Meccano advertisements ("Popular Mechanics" monthly magazine, USA, Nov./Dec. 1914)

Meccano Magazine 1916 - 1981
Meccano Magazine, first issue (Sept. 1916, left) and last (Apr. 1981, right). Meccano Magazine was launched «to help Meccano Boys to have more fun than other boys» by inventor Frank Hornby (first editor), and published as bi-monthly by his company Meccano Ltd.

Frank Hornby
Frank Hornby (Liverpool, May 15, 1863 - Maghull, September 21, 1936), the inventor, businessman and politician who invented Meccano toys and founded Meccano Ltd.

Meccano 100th Anniversary and Frank Hornby 150th Anniversary
Meccano 100th Anniversary (1901-2001, left), and Frank Hornby 150th Anniversary (1863-2013, right). In 2001 Spin Master Corp., brand owner, launched a special Anniversary Edition to commemorate 100 years from the Meccano patent. In 2013 museums, communities and enthusiasts from all over the world celebrated 150 years of the inventor (poster by Brighton Toy and Model Museum).